Please Help With Problems With Large Floor Tiles in Bathroom
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PaulVincent
Labourer
Labourer

Please Help With Problems With Large Floor Tiles in Bathroom

Post by PaulVincent » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:53 am

I am tiling a bathroom for my brother, and am a novice. This is my first attempt at tiling anything. I've already tiles the walls and it went relatively smoothly, although it took a long time since I was learning as I worked.
He bought large 60x60cm tiles for the bathroom floor, but also wants the same tiles on the very small area around the top of the bath (not the bathroom walls, but the rim of the wooden frame the bath is placed inside).
This would entail cutting these very large, 1cm thick tiles into long, thin pieces, and I don't think I am up to the job, considering my skill level.
Should I attempt it, or not? I am pretty sure these huge floor tiles are not meant for detail work, but I don't want to tell him no if I am just being dumb.
I'd really appreciate any responses from proficient tilers. Thanks very much.

Tilerwithstyler
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Please Help With Problems With Large Floor Tiles in Bathroom

Post by Tilerwithstyler » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:28 pm

HI Paul, it's difficult to advise fully as it depends on how much cutting an what shapes may need to be cut. I presume it's the ends of the bath that need tiling with the floor tiles. This is actually a good idea as floor tiles will be stronger in this position than standard wall tiles however it is really important that any boxing in is constructed from a durable waterproof material, you can use plywood but I would overlay this with something like no more ply or aqua-panel. It's also important that you use an S1 Class of adhesive as this is both waterproof, flexible and has enhanced adhesion properties which make it especially good for sticking porcelain tiles to a substrate which may be susceptible to lateral movement. As for cutting the tiles, my particular favourite brand of cutter is Rubi, you can hire either a TS60 plus or a TX700 from most good tool hire companies and they are very simple to use and enable you to cut very thin sections from a 600mm porcelain tile. I Hope this helps you, let me know if I can advise further and how you get along.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 pm