Please identify this fungus!

Postby theconor » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:11 pm

Hi, inlet to washing machine has been dripping over many months. Only discovered it when hardboard under lino started bulging. Looked under sink and found some horrible fungus!

Looking for advice -- what is it and what can I do?




NB. So far, I've stopped the drip, washed away all the fungus, and am drying the wood. Wood still feels hard. What's next?
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:48 pm


Simply Build It

Postby koala » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:53 am

You could apply some fungicidal treatment, my guess is it will disappear and never come back if the wood remains dry.
I don't know the name of the fungus, but I am sure its easy to find either by googling using the pictures function or a decent fungas web site.

I have seen it many times though in real life and it only seems to be around really wet surfaces, normally timber
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:39 am

Postby transitman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Its a type of elf cup fungus or similar, usually dies off once you get rid of the source of damp and does not usually require treatment as it only grows in excessively damp conditions and can't survive without the moisture.
Clear up the fungus, dry out the floor and when dry apply some fungicidal fluid for timber just for peace of mind.
Job done.
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:37 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by


  • Related Topics