Plumbers Training School Part 2 - Additional Suppoort Images
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Plumbers Training School Part 2 - Additional Suppoort Images

by greengrass » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:23 pm

Starting with the easy the Grundfos pump up to 2/3 yrs ago the pump feed from the tank was half way down the tank to the wall side. Unseen it was leaking and the flooring is chipboard, why planning ever aloud chipboard I’ll never know as when wet it goes like cardboard, so the whole shower room floor had to be replaced.

The British Gas engineer moved the Grundfos pump feed to the top of the tank at his suggestion and my agreement. The cable is not live, the pump outflow through the floor to where god knows but won’t tell me.
Now for the blue C/H pump 22mm pipe topped with the auto air release valve with the first tee off 22mm round the wall through the M.V into tank half way up one gate valve just in part view.
Next tee off down is 22m through M.V then through floor .
Next tee off 15mm which has first tee off through floor 15mm follows on bend to gate valve then tee off 22mm to tank through gate valve to bottom side of tank. The 12mm then changes size as it goes through floor to 22mm. All but the Grundfos red pump is in the C/H circuit or it appears so to me. I can understand the system in part that the feeds to the tank are the tank coil feeds in and out ie; the coil gets hot from heated water from boiler and in turn heats the water surrounding it in the tank. That’s my lot with C/H except how to remove a rad and or bleed them but that’s rare since the engineer fitted the auto air release valve. Some rads you can hear the water rushing through couple of others click, none ‘kettle’ or feel cold at the bottom (air or blocked veins) my terminology might be crap my apologies. Just hope it makes sense.
I've got into this pic posting now would do one of me but its frightening that's why we have no mirrors in the bungalow.
Attachments
IMG_0004 resized 350.jpg
IMG_0011  350pixels.jpg
IMG_0011 350pixels.jpg (49.12 KiB) Viewed 2054 times

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Plumbers Training School Part 2 - Additional Suppoort Images

by proptech » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi greengrass
I know what you mean with chipboard !
I think to put it simply the system has 'evolved' over the years, with various alterations done as needed, and maybe not in the best way. I see the top MV is of the later type, and is controlling hot water.
As far as the Grundfos is concerned, I can't tell you either !
But what the hell, from what you say, the system is working quite well. I do wonder why air was collecting before the auto valve was fitted, could have been anything. Rushing noise could be due to system balance, or pump set too high.

I don't think there's much I can add to that, without actually seeing the system in the flesh - put the kettle on !
At the end of the day, it's probably best to leave well alone all the time it works, but as I've said that bottom valve could be suspect.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Plumbers Training School Part 2 - Additional Suppoort Images

by greengrass » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:18 am

propTech sorry for delay in response.
It has confused British Gas engineers what the Grundfos pump would be for. I don't want to get it working in case there's and open pipe on the outflow, Some have suggested a shower to power hot water but why just the hot and also the shower is only 3 mts away in same room ? I thought a hot and cold flow inline pump was the usual type of fitting. Plus the shower in this room and the one next door in the bathroom work quite well (the latter was on suite for main bedroom.)

Others say it could be as the kitchen is 33mt away to assist hot to arrive at the sink quicker. I rule that out as hot, albeit slow gets there and not through the Grundfos pump as the out flow pipe is always cold.
As you say its a 'leave it alone' system while it works. A mystery only that can be solved by crawling under the floor (you have to be thin) to trace the route of the Grundfos pipework. thanks for your input and the kettle has been boiling for some time now. heh! heh!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1