All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cooloperator
Labourer
Labourer

Plumbing in dish washer questions

Post by cooloperator » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi,

I did look at the project pages and found some useful information there but still have questions. I'm blind and din a wheelchair, so I am not going to be doing any plumbing myself but would like to understand a few things so I can work out if/where I could have a dish washer.

My understanding is that a dish washer needs to be as close to the sink as possible. Is there any distance which is too far? In the project pages I think it referred to what you'd do if the distance was too far for a standard pipe - how long is a standard pipe? If it is over a certain distance away, I'm still not sure whether that means there'll then need to be a tube going from the dish washer along the floor underneath all the cupboards; or whether somehow an extra pipe is put in the wall by the dish washer?

Another alternative I'm thinking about is having a tabletop dish washer which I would want on top of the worktop next to the sink. I am assuming in that case someone would need to drill down through the top of the worktop to put the tube through to get to underneath the sink?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:34 pm

cooloperator,
The waste hose on most dishwashers will get you about 1m away from the side of the dishwasher - actual distance will depend on which side the pipe comes out.
If the levels are suitable you can extend the waste pipe and fit a standpipe behind the dishwasher - distance away is then not an issue.
With a table top dishwasher you can fit these direct to the tap and the waste feeds into the sink - so no holes in the worktop.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:42 am