plumbing
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Selby Bailey
Labourer
Labourer

plumbing

by Selby Bailey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:05 pm

I have a central heating system containing 16 radiators with the pipes running under the floor boards. For the passed 24 years I have experienced a constant continuous knocking in the pipes passing between and underneath two adjacent radiators when the central heating is on. The problem does not occur anywhere else in the system. I have had numerous plumbers to investigate the problem over the years but no one appears to be able to solve it. Can you help?

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi there,

Are the pipes lagged and secured with clips?

AH

rose
Ganger
Ganger

Re: plumbing

by rose » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:17 pm

[quote="Selby Bailey"]I have a central heating system containing 16 radiators with the pipes running under the floor boards. For the passed 24 years I have experienced a constant continuous knocking in the pipes passing between and underneath two adjacent radiators when the central heating is on. The problem does not occur anywhere else in the system. I have had numerous plumbers to investigate the problem over the years but no one appears to be able to solve it. Can you help?[/quote]

Hi there,
I'm no expert, but I think this has something to do with the hot and cold pipes touching each other....have a look to see if they are touching and also if the cut-out is deep enough in the joist.
good luck

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:34 am

rose,
If you mean a continuous regular knocking sound the most likely cause is that the jumper on the valve on a radiator fed by the pipe is loose and is suddenly turning off the flow to the radiator. Check by opening the valves (both ends) on radiators fed by the noisy section of pipe.
end

C23kW
Apprentice
Apprentice

by C23kW » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:22 am

clipped?

CkW

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:11 am