Plywood Sheet Size
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Scoie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Plywood Sheet Size

by Scoie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:06 pm

Hi there, im about to tile over my floorboards after securing 12mm ply over the top, but i refuse to pay the extortionate price that the local hardware shop want to deliver the 8' x 4' sheets. They do offer a cheap cutting service and i can get the 4' x 4' sheets in my car. Can i use this on my floor instead of the large sheets providing i still secure them every 200mm as stated?
Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Provided its adequately supported at the edges I don't see a problem.

Secure it through to the joist rather than just through the existing boards - don't want ti hit any pipes or cables huh? BTW you DO know where your pipes and cables are don't you?

And lay the boards so that the edges are perpendicular to the floorboards not parallel.

Make sure you get WPB ply and don't use OSB. You could also consider wediboard but thats a bit pricey although good.

BTW is it upstairs? If so I'd be tempted to use a decoupling membrane over the 12mm ply. If you can't eradicate all movement then you have to mitigate against it.

As a matter of interest how much was the "extortionate" price? Have you tried sourcing it elsewhere?

Cheers

billobach181
Ganger
Ganger

Flooring for tilie

by billobach181 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Have you considered using "Hardibacher" board? It is a cement based material in 6 & 12 mm thickness. It is totally waterproof and has a rough surface finish to help tile adhesion. I used it on my shower walls and its great to tile on. You can also use it on the floor and as it is waterproof it will reduce risk ou damaging your floorboards. It is worth considering.
Bill

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:29 pm

Hardibacker is not waterproof and should not be relied upon as a water barrier. Wedi board is, however, waterproof.

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm