Polycarbonate roof on conservatory
Conservatories are a great all-round addition to any home. Find help, advice and information on all aspects of this area.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stetto
Labourer
Labourer

by Stetto » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:06 pm

We have a polycarbonate roof sunlounge/conservatory which we use as a holistic therapy room.

The problem we have is the noise level when it is raining and also the heat. We have had blackout blinds made which does reduce the heat but now need a solution for the rain noise.

I have read about the QuietGuard roofing system but know that it is not yet in production.

Has anyone got any ideas on how else we can reduce the noise level - we are thinking about adding an extra layer of polycarbonate to the existing roof to see if this helps?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:46 pm

I too had these problems, with my first conservatory.
While I cannot claim to have resolved them directly, my current Sun Lounge had a solid roof, that works really well.
What is needed, is a solid screen that completely blocks both the sun and rain. The principal being that whatever is between the sun and the top of the roof has a clear space of at least 4 inches or a multiple of four inches to avoid radiation and attenuate the noise.

Stetto
Labourer
Labourer

by Stetto » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:42 pm

Thanks for the reply. The solid roof that was on the sun lounge - was the sides of the lounge floor-to-ceiling glass? We were wondering about the support aspect of putting a solid roof on.

Thanks for the info re spacing in between the roof and additional panel. :D

Ronnie
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Polycarbonate roof on conservatory

by Ronnie » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:12 am

[quote="Stetto"]We have a polycarbonate roof sunlounge/conservatory which we use as a holistic therapy room.

The problem we have is the noise level when it is raining and also the heat. We have had blackout blinds made which does reduce the heat but now need a solution for the rain noise.

I have read about the QuietGuard roofing system but know that it is not yet in production.

Has anyone got any ideas on how else we can reduce the noise level - we are thinking about adding an extra layer of polycarbonate to the existing roof to see if this helps?[/quote]
Look at SILENTROOFSYSTEMS in the UK

PaulFoster
Labourer
Labourer

by PaulFoster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Hi there,

We do a solar control film specially designed for polycarbonate roofs. It will reduce heat and glare by over 75% as well as UV by over 98% (the main cause of fading). it will definately help with the heat, it may help with the noise a bit as well as its a coating on the inside of the polycarbonate it will help to "deaden" it somewhat however Im not sure to what effect it will help if any as its not really made for that.

Hope this helps.

Link deleted, no advertising please.

ollie7489
Apprentice
Apprentice

by ollie7489 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:35 pm

The easiest answer is to change the poly roof to a glass roof the new glass used mainly on roofs is Pilkinton Active which can have a blue tint and has an easy clean facility but you need to do templates and also check that the roof can stand the weight of the units this will be much quieter than the poly roof you have Hope this helpd Les

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:20 am