position of c.h.pump in system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rfranklin
Labourer
Labourer

position of c.h.pump in system

by rfranklin » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:34 am

Have just had some building work completed entailing re-routing of h/w and c/h pipe work from solid fule stove/back boiler.
I have noticed that there is a flow and return (to a couple of downstairs radiators) which are positioned after the boiler but ahead of the pump (ie pump is upstairs) the rads are cold despite repeated bleeding.
Can it be right that these pipes (the flow anyway) are situated before the pump ? I can't see how any circulation could occur this way. Thanks for any help.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:39 pm

In my opinion the only way these radiators could work is if they where on a gravity loop, for this to work for every 12" of horizontal run, the pipe work would have to rise by 1", therefor if the first radiator was 3' away from the boiler the pipe work would have to rise 3" from the horizontal. Hope that made sense. I hope that your hot water cylinder is on a gravity loop (not pumped) as is at least one of the upstairs radiators (normally the bathroom radiator) which should be identified by having two lock shield valves fitted, one either side of the radiator. If there is no gravity circuit, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES LIGHT THE FIRE, and call in a HETAS registerd engineer, the solid fuel equal to Corgi.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1