positioning of mains supply?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
martinjw100
Labourer
Labourer

positioning of mains supply?

by martinjw100 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:08 pm

I was called in to repair a leak on a supply to a concealed toilet cistern. Directly below the supply pipework is the main domestic supply 100 A fuse trip unit / main cable & tails leading into the consumer unit which is elsewhere.

is there any part of the regs which state that this trip unit should not be placed below a cistern / water source? I need to know if the unit needs to be moved or perhaps just boxed in and better protected?

thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: positioning of mains supply?

by sparx » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi Martin,
by the discription this is the supply authorities cut out fuse and meter etc.
If so this was almost certainly in place before the cistern so their attitude would be "move the cistern!"
However this equipment is not covered by our wiring regs it comes under the 'Electricity safety, quality and continuity regulation" so i guess it comes down to common sense wether to leave it or box it in if that would prevent water entry from a leak,
sorry not much help but only requirements of regs is min distance from gas equipment or barriers to be between items,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:22 pm