Possible rewire
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nellyspania
Labourer
Labourer

Possible rewire

Post by nellyspania » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi I have a 50's house with some DIY bodge wiring (eg spurs on spurs etc) and the odd bit of old black rubber wiring(!)
The socket ring covers both floors except the kitchen/diner which has had a seperate ring put in by a previous owner at some time.
Also the power to the garage at the bottom of the garden is just twin and earth run in plastic conduit. No RCD protection anywhere.
Now looking at the above i'm pretty sure that my only option is a complete rewire and ££££'s.
I've never needed to get a sparky in and don't know anyone who has any recommendations so what is the best way of finding a decent one?

ps I'm in mid ******* if anyone knows one!!!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:34 pm

It does indeed sound like a rewire. Get some local recommendations and then get minimu 3 quotes for comparison.

"mid Deleted" is presumably E s s e x? Forum censor software!!

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi, not sure where you are as this site takes out loads of normal names, but presume somewhere like mid susseks or esseks.
If you don't have a local recommended leckie, try one of the 'competent persons' registers such as NAPIT, ELECSA etc.
As an example try typing www.napit.org.uk in your search box, then on napits home page right hand list, click on customer/consumer,
then 'find a member', enter your location for a list of local registered leckies, who are vetted & insured with a work guarentee scheme operating.
hope this helps, SPARX

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:53 pm

ring round for electricians that are members of napit, niceic, elesca, bsi.
they will be registered to carry out this type of work.
kb

nellyspania
Labourer
Labourer

Post by nellyspania » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:53 pm

It is mid e s s e x!

Thanks for suggestions, I will give them all a go.

Should have got the damn wiring checked out when we bought the house but hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it! :roll:

Just out of curiousity, when running the new ring in downstairs, what would be the most likely method of routing the cable, we have solid concrete ground floor with new laminate flooring that covers the whole ground floor! Don't want to take it up again! Not fussed about walls, they all need redecorating anyway.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:32 am

Hi your electrician will be able to chase out wall, without effecting your floor. Depending where your CU is they may go straight up in to ceiling void and drop the circuit down or chase out downstrairs.
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:50 am