Post decorating - Doors Don't Fit

Postby leembarnes » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:55 am

I removed two core panel doors from the house and decorated them in the garage, which is considerably colder! When I re - hung the doors both are now catching quite considerably on the latch side of the door. Both were re - hung with the same hinges/screws. Has the cold warped the doors? Is this likely to reverse when they warm up again or is my paining in vain and I need to start planing doors? Thanks. Lee
leembarnes

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby thedoctor » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:13 pm

There is every possibility that the difference in temp or simply the moisture associated with paint has swollen the doors a tiny bit. Take the doors off again and chisel out a tiny bit from the hinge rebates. Rehang the doors. This should give you enough room to close the doors and if they "shrink" back to their prepainted size, you can pack out behind the hinge with some cardboard cut to size. Take no more than 1mm off each rebate at a time, its surprising how little is required to re-align doors.
thedoctor
Site Admin

Postby kbrownie » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:27 pm

Hi,
I agree with doc. The damp conditions of the garage has made the doors swell. You should find that after a short time the wood will dry out and the doors contract back to size.
Regards
KB
kbrownie

Postby leembarnes » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:12 am

Thanks very much for your advice, will get the chisel out tonight and hopefully sort them out. Thanks again!
Lee
leembarnes

Sort by
Order by