Post hole size / what type of nail gun?

Postby philtanner » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi,

I am going to be constructing a 100ft length of feather edge fencing. I will be constructing myself from the raw materials. It will be 6ft feather sitting ontop of 6" gravel board. 8ft posts with 3 arris rails and the posts at 8ft intervals(14). I have all the materials being delivered for the end of the month and now I am thinking about the construction process.

I am wondering about the post holes, the posts will be going into soil/mud and I intend to use postcrete to secure them in place. Can anyone help with how wide the hole shoud be, as it needs to be 1.5ft deep? I have also seen the post hole tools, that are like a pair of scoops, are these any good and worthwhile getting? I am guessing a spade may make the hole way too big trying to get down 1.5ft.

It is also going to be a lot of nails, so I am thinking I will need to get a nail gun. I have looked and there seem to be two types, electric and air powered. I am guessing air powered need a seperate air compressor?
There also seem to be ones that are for brad nails, T-Nails or ring/strip nails?
Can anyone help me out on what is best suited and what kind of nails I will need?

Maybe I will be better hiring one ?

Thank you for any advice,

Phil
philtanner

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby 4213paul » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:37 am

8ft posts should be installed at least 2ft into ground for long term stabillity,
the sissor type shovel is a good tool as you say it does not make the holes too big. I would make holes at least twice the size of posts and as stated at least 2ft deep. Not sure about nail gun but definatly hire as these are very expensive to buy. Ask for advice at hire shop, think you can hire sissor shovel too.
4213paul

Sort by
Order by