Adding Wind Turbine to Solar Panels
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
misternick
Labourer
Labourer

Adding Wind Turbine to Solar Panels

by misternick » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:17 am

Having a full (4kw) domestic solar array what are the possibilities of hooking up a wind turbine?
The inverter is underused from september to april, and these are the windiest months.
If we are serious about sustainable energy, the many people with solar panels should be encouraged to invest in wind generated electricity. The possession of an inverter hooked up to the grid changes the economics of wind turbines favourably

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Adding Wind Turbine to Solar Panels

by collectors » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 am

There is a lot of do's & do not's with mixing these 2. I would contact you solar panel makers & see what is compatible with your set up.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:17 pm

Hello. Assuming you could add a wind turbine you would also need a "change over switch" to change from one input to the other, (Solar to wind, or wind to solar) I suspect it will be more than a few pennies.

Also if wind turbines are as good as you believe why is it more people don't have them? Surprisingly wind turbines (even small ones) require a high constant wind speed to be of use, something you will not get in towns. (unless they are mounted on a very tall pole or other high rise building.)

I would be interested to know how you get on, I would like a wind turbine, but seems there is not enough wind round here to make one viable.

misternick
Labourer
Labourer

by misternick » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:44 am

Thankyou. Changeover would not be a huge problem, as in winter there is not much solar generation. It would be easier to resolve if there were a amps/ kilowatts limit built in as the supplier limits domestics to 4kw (16 panels), though why they need to is beyond me as the incoming cable is capable of carrying 20kw (80 amp main fuse X 240 volts = 19.2 kw, though I guess if your neighbours are all exporting there could be limits upline ) .
My point was that possession of an inverter and grid connection (needed for the solar installation) changes the economics of wind generation as those items would not need to be duplicated if there was enough capacity, certainly true in winter.
We are in a remote location, with an open approach to the south west. I envisaged a small generator 1+ kw on a 20 foot scaffold pole winched up a telegraph pole so about 40 ft overall.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Slight update from my POV, It seems I will soon be getting a wind turbine. Its going to be a really small one, but when i get it I will post more info about it, and how i get on with it.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:16 pm

I said I will be getting a wind turbine.......well I have, all be it small. I made a video of it, and its on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asVQBTrsXms

chancsmotor
Labourer
Labourer

by chancsmotor » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:20 am

Saw the video. Great job. It is not too small for family power needs, you also have a solar panel.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:59 pm

It (The wind turbine) is too small for my garden shed, let alone for "family power needs" and I don't have a solar panel.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:13 am

Small update.

It has been windy and.....well, watch for your self.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGTsldlD0ew

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:43 pm