Wet Carpet and Underlay in Corner of Lounge - Is This a Damp Issue?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Daveyp1471
Labourer
Labourer

Wet Carpet and Underlay in Corner of Lounge - Is This a Damp Issue?

by Daveyp1471 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:49 pm

I have noticed a slight damp feel to the edge of my carpet in the lounge in one corner, I lifted the carpet and the underlay has darkened like its damp. Underneath are floor boards on a suspended floor. I have taken up the floor boards and there is no sign of moisture and all pipes etc are fine. I have ruled out kids and pets. I don't think there are sufficient air bricks and am looking at installing more but could this cause a damp underlay?

Thanks

thedoctor

Re: Wet Carpet and Underlay in Corner of Lounge - Is This a Damp Issue?

by thedoctor » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:54 pm

Its not likely with a suspended floor that the water is coming from below so this leaves the walls next to the carpet (or the very long show of a leak in the ceiling directly above the damp patch).

Check the walls for damp using our pages on damp detection.

Pull up more carpet and see if there is any sign or trace of water running along the floor from anywhere else like a radiator. Floors are very often not level and and droplets could find there way into a joint in a tongue and grooved board and run down to the lowest point which could be your damp corner.

Please do let us know how you get on. Your feedback could be really usefullfor someone else with the same problem

and (I'm afraid) if there is no sign of water entering the building from any direction

Daveyp1471
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Wet Carpet and Underlay in Corner of Lounge - Is This a Damp Issue?

by Daveyp1471 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanks the doctor. We think moisture had been coming through the wall to the side of the chimney Brest as the pointing was shot. I have also installed new airbricks as that particular corner Didnt get any air. It's now like a wind tunnel underneath. We're worried that it could come back so considering a vapour barrier before laying new carpet/underlay.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:11 pm