Potterton Netaheat 10-16 Not firing up
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tadleymansions
Labourer
Labourer

Potterton Netaheat 10-16 Not firing up

Post by tadleymansions » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:55 am

Hi
Boiler stopped working Tuesday (after the v cold night). Boiler located on outside wall in unheated utility room which is effectively at the rear of the attaached garage.
Flow and return pass above the ceiling so can't tell if they are lagged or not but presume so.
Boiler serviced by Gas Board beginning of Dec (first time for years) and given complete bill of health.
All components appear to be working ok (room stat, cyl stat, 3 way and programmer) but boiler does not fire up.

Question: would frozen pipes close tyo the boiler stop it firing i.e no water flow thru the heat exchanger?

colinkav
Labourer
Labourer

Post by colinkav » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:16 pm

Hi I am having same problem with mine,just posted on the site for help. However, I think I have short listed down to two things AIR PRESSURE SWITCH OR CIRCUIT BOARD. Probably either will be expensive no doubt.
I take it your pilot light works? If not it could just be your flame sensor (thermo-coupling)

Yes frozen pipes will stop system from working full stop.

By the way your boiler service with Gas Board should be guaranteed by them for 12 months so give them a call. Dont freeze.

Colin

simon@hwch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by simon@hwch » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:58 pm

No.

A Netaheat 10-16 is a very old boiler and far from having a clean bill of health it should be regarded as a decrepit old pensioner.

It always amuses me how many customers tell me their boiler has only had 'light use'. My boiler ran the London Marathon last year.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Steve the gas » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:44 am

ha ha :lol:

simon@hwch
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by simon@hwch » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:40 am

Frozen pipes will not stop your boiler from working, but they will cause the overheat to trip. The boiler will then stop.

British Gas do not warrant the internals of a 22yr old heap, for a year after a service. I think you are confusing a service with a maintenance contract.

tadleymansions
Labourer
Labourer

Post by tadleymansions » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi colinkav
thanks for your response - bit more constructive than our simon@hwch!

replaced the control unit and all fired up ok. Left system running on continuous and went to bed. Something (maybe house getting colder again) made me get up and check at 4.00 am. Boiler not lit but fan going.

Turned the boiler stat off then on and all fired up again. But it stopped later in the day.

Now don't know whether the original control unit was iffy or not. And if it is the pressure switch - then has this taken the new control box down as well???

Will talk to potterton 2 moro.

Hope its not the gas valve - no longer available as a spare.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1