potterton suprima 50 gas boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
john sheppard
Labourer
Labourer

potterton suprima 50 gas boiler

by john sheppard » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:24 am

I have a potterton suprima 50 boiler which occassionaly went into lock out but on pressing the reset button it started working, however now when you press the reset button the boiler ignites for a few seconds then goes out and the green button remains flashing

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:53 am

Hi John,

Check the manual and follow the fault flow guide, failing that get a good RGI by recomendation.

jpm
Labourer
Labourer

by jpm » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:47 pm

I had a new Suprima 50 fitted about 7 years ago and had the same symptoms as you. The recommended cure was a new printed circuit board, which was about £300 ish in all. But I was watching the BBC Watchdog programme about 15 months ago when they did a programme on it as a lot of people had complained to them about the same fault. It turned out that it was a design fault that Potterton knew about and they had re-designed the PCB. The programme got Potterton to agree to a free replacement for viewers who contacted them. I did this and got a new free PCB fitted by one of their engineers which cured the problem.

john sheppard
Labourer
Labourer

Potterton bolier

by john sheppard » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:34 am

[quote="jpm"]I had a new Suprima 50 fitted about 7 years ago and had the same symptoms as you. The recommended cure was a new printed circuit board, which was about £300 ish in all. But I was watching the BBC Watchdog programme about 15 months ago when they did a programme on it as a lot of people had complained to them about the same fault. It turned out that it was a design fault that Potterton knew about and they had re-designed the PCB. The programme got Potterton to agree to a free replacement for viewers who contacted them. I did this and got a new free PCB fitted by one of their engineers which cured the problem.[/quote]
Thanks for your reply, I had already spoken to Potterton who said only boilers from 2005 were affected but I will persue this issue with them after your reply Many Thanks

john sheppard
Labourer
Labourer

Potterton boiler

by john sheppard » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:39 am

Thanks for your reply.
I had already spoken to potterton who informed me that only boilers from 2005 were affected and that as mine was older it was not covered.
Having received your reply I will be persuing this matter with them further
Many Thanks for your help

LindaM
Labourer
Labourer

Potterton Boiler

by LindaM » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:24 pm

I have been experiencing the same problem for 18mths and was delighted to see your comments regarding the Watchdog feature. I called Potterton today and they said that this fault only affected Suprima 50 boilers and not Suprima HE 50! Mine is a Suprima HE 50 and was fitted in March 2005. They said to phone watchdog to check. Do you know if this is true, I've searched the watchdog website but can't find a reference to the feature. Bit of a coincidence that the fault is the same.

jpm
Labourer
Labourer

Potterton Boiler

by jpm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:52 pm

I've just checked my paperwork and my boiler was a Potterton Suprima 60 (ser no. CHHR001 0699). It was fitted in March 2000. Following the Watchdog programme the new PCB was replaced by Heateam on 16/4/07.

ymidd1
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Potterton Boiler

by ymidd1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 am

[quote="jpm"]I've just checked my paperwork and my boiler was a Potterton Suprima 60 (ser no. CHHR001 0699). It was fitted in March 2000. Following the Watchdog programme the new PCB was replaced by Heateam on 16/4/07.[/quote

Did Potterton replace your PCB? I have a Suprima 60 which Potterton said was purchased in 1999. They told me that it was not one of the models affected by the circuit board problem and that only boilers purchased after 2003 were being looked at. They were most unhelpful on the phone.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:17 pm

"They were most unhelpful on the phone."

Not that surprised. The Suprima is notorious for PCB problems.

Cheers

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1