Potterton Suprima 60 corrosion

Postby Coldest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 am

My Potterton Suprima 60 has been condemned due to corrosion. I have put photos on flickr and wondered if anyone can give me some feedback.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59025089@N08/?saved=1

I have been told by British Gas that there is no way they would have been able to detect the corrosion at the rear which means the unit is no longer sealed and therefore unsafe.

Boiler is 8 years-old and no longer covered for replacement by BG. Looking at these pictures, is it not possible that the 2 leaks could have been detected within the 7 year warantee period.

ANY advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any help.
Coldest
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Impossible to say really, but it must have been leaking for some time.

A replacement boiler is the only solution.

htg
htg engineer

Postby Coldest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:25 pm

In your opinion how long do you think it would have taken for the corrosion to get to this state?

Say 6 months, a year, 2 years, more than 2 years?

That would really help me. Thanks very much.
Coldest
Progress to next rank:
25%

Postby Cheesie1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm

from looking at the pictures it would be very hard to see the corrosion, obviously the heat exchanger would cover the majority (if not all) of the corrosion points, they only way u would really know something was up would be if water was sitting in the bottom of combustion case when removed, or if combustion readings were high (only if hole in case). Pottertons are renowed for leaking internal and from drain cocks within the boiler, unfortunately you can't get the replacement casing as potterton no longer produce them, so it's new boiler!
Cheesie1
Progress to next rank:
34.6%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!