Power flush and/or new radiators
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jonesey
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Jonesey » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:05 pm

I am NOT a competent DIY-er, so have had a plumber round to check noisy CH system - he's identified dodgy pipework (which fits with manufacturer's opinion). He also said that we should get the system flushed (cold patches in rads, frequent air locks): I have seen the correspondence on this already, so am loathe to fork out £350-500. I wonder, would it be cheaper/better to get the radiators replaced (they are at least 16 years old - 5 of them) or to go for cleaning the system? Or both? Even if we don't go for a power flush, we'd probably need a plumber to do this, being scared to death of making a mess of it ourselves!

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:24 pm

I would remove radiators and flush out.
Flush pipework a couple of times, refit radiators and refill - run heating and flush when hot.

Then refill adding system cleanser or sludge remover and run for a week or so.

Then you can drain and flush a few times, fit the new radiators (if you want) and add inhibitors.

Without the price of the radiators it will cost around about £30 for the chemicals and whatever in labour. Not a bad little DIY job, if you're still not sure -get a plumber but they'd probably rather power flush it.

No-one in the family with a bit DIY knowledge that'll help.

Jonesey
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Jonesey » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks v much for the advice - we'll see what we can do and check out some less extravagant plumbers!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1