power to garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
funkymonkey
Labourer
Labourer

power to garage

by funkymonkey » Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:45 pm

hi all this is my first post so here goes , i already have power to my garage from my upstairs socket circuit 30A old fusebox type (it was there when i moved in and has been since the sixties ) but it was disused ,i want to fit a new consumer unit in the garage to run a couple of double sockets and some lights so i was thinking of fitting just a double unit with 2 mcb's 1 6A for the lights and 1 30A for the sockets would this be ok , another question is the feed to the garage has 4 wires 1L 1N 1E and one that seems to carry only 33V any ideas what it is and what would i connect this to
cheers
FM

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:13 pm

"any ideas"

Yes - with 1960s wiring get a electrician in.

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Hi FM,
you say this is your first post so I must point out that the work you propose is covered by building regs 'Part-P' see Docs project list.
The wire carrying 33V is most probably simply not connected or used & what your meter is reading is induced voltage from the other cores, this is reason any unused cores should be connected to earth at one end.
The fact you are asking these questions says you are not registered to do such work and should employ a professional electrician registered with an approved body, sorry but thats the law.
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:06 pm