Power to Wall Mounted TV
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
KapCaveman
Labourer
Labourer

Power to Wall Mounted TV

by KapCaveman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi,

I wall Mounted my flatscreen some time ago and I am now thinking about trying to do some wire hiding and looking for a bit of advice

The room is in a top floor flat with the floor level with the eaves of the roof, this is quite handy as there is a void behind most of the wall where I am looking to hide the cables.

The layout is as follows.

Power socket on external facing wall to the far right.

To the left of this a small bay window where most of my equipment sits on a stand. My intention is to put a wall plate under the window and run all the AV wiring from here.

To the left of the windows is the wall where the TV is hanging.

I have considered three options for getting power to the TV.

1) Run a spur from the existing mains socket, I imagine this to mean simply threading mains cable round the voids around the window and pulling it up to a hole behind the TV where I'll put a box etc.

2) Dopping a spur from the ring in the loft down to the TV. (The existing sockets are from the loft ring) I'm not sure I will be able to feed the cable down like this though due to there being a big girder in the area.

3) Adding an IEC Inlet to the wall plate I intend putting under the window, connecting this to a mains grade cable and wiring it up to an IEC outlet on the AV faceplate (Probably Steel) behind the TV. This would then be powered by a kettle lead from the existing powerstrip to the wall and an IEC extension from the wall to the TV.

Do these options sound within regulations?

I'm hoping to do this as a DIY job as finances are very limited at the moment, if I am advised to get an electrician I'll need to hold off for a while.

Thoughts?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:01 pm

what do you mean by wall plate? in building terms it has a very different meaning to the context that you are currently using.

KapCaveman
Labourer
Labourer

by KapCaveman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Sorry Chris, I meant an AV Wall Plate.

Something like the following where I have specced up a plate that would suit my requirements for the wall under the window.

Google "datapro.net/cgi-bin/plate_designer?load=20110806061732_5ac1a12c"

Haven't decided to order this yet, still working on the plan and I might order it as just a blank cutout then source the couplers here in the UK.

I intend to put Speaker Binding posts in the holes on the left hand side but the ones that site supply are not properly insulated for use on a metal wall plate, If I can't find suitable ones I'll leave the speaker posts off (They must exist as there are metal speaker plates for sale in the UK).

The one behind the TV will be about half this size and probably plastic (Original post had this the wrong way round)

KapCaveman
Labourer
Labourer

by KapCaveman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:02 pm

For completeness here is the Wall plate that would go behind the TV for option 3.

Google "datapro.net/cgi-bin/plate_designer?load=20110807045035_5ac1a12c"

This one would use a UK Standard 2 gang Backbox while the other needs a 4 Gang US style one.

(Previous post not moderated yet so I can't edit it.)

P.S. I'm in Scotland so Part P doesn't apply and I am struggling to find an equivalent guide to what can be done here as DIY.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 am