Pre 1840's Internal Cobbled Wall Damp in Renovated Barn
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

pr3cb
Labourer
Labourer

Pre 1840's Internal Cobbled Wall Damp in Renovated Barn

by pr3cb » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally a single storey barn, it's been added to upwards & outwards over the years. It's double glazed but has no form of central heating and has patchy damp.

I need to know if I'm working on the right lines, I'm a female with restricted funds but with some diy ability so go easy! After removing damp plasterboard, I have discovered floor to ceiling cobbled walls in one room. I want to treat the walls sympathetically. How does this sound?

1) I've raked out loose lime mortar and using NHL mortar to point cobbles on one wall. Any old lime mortar that's solid I intend to leave as is, on the basis that If it aint broke don't fix it. I'm going to leave this wall cobbled.Could you then "seal" the cobbles with linseed oil?

2) The other outside wall is a mix of cobble, then "modern" brick around the windows, wooden lintel over one window, the lower half of the wall up to about 1m is rendered in something 2" thick that not even a sledge hammer will shift! I'm thinking this was to give the cobbles above some stability. Removing this isn't an option.

The outside wall is very cold, a mish-mash of materials; I need to cover it up and create a nice smooth and warm finish to this wall.

My plan is to:

a) fill any major gaps in the cobbles & bricks- but what kind of mortar to use? NHL on the cobbles and cement based on the brick parts?

b) Batten the very uneven walls.

c) Thermafleece between the battens.

d) Line with vapour permeable membrane.

e) Then what??? Plasterboard again with standard board?

After using breathable materials is it a good idea to cover with Gyproc eg.

What would you do?

It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:39 pm