Pre stressed lintels
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy21275
Labourer
Labourer

Pre stressed lintels

Post by andy21275 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:23 pm

Hi all, I have just read today that concrete lintels are pre stressed. On watching my builder last week, he took a 2m concrete lintel and cut it in half to go over a sewer pipe before he built a 2m high cavity wall on top of the lintels. He did leave approx 150mm over both sides of the footings to bear the weight. Will these lintels be ok as they are now cut or will they just crumble.
All comments are much appreciated
cheers
andy

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 pm

andy21275,
Lintol should be fine. If they are undergroung the ends should be sealed to stop damp attacking the steel reinforcing bar.
end

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

Post by elwood » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:23 pm

Hi

Give the builder a break.

I've never seal a concrete lintel in my life nor as it ever been requested nor do I know anyone who as !

Bye

andy21275
Labourer
Labourer

LINTEL

Post by andy21275 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:21 pm

Ok thanks for your reply. The lintels are already in the ground, wall built and back filled, so no chance of me sealing them now, lets just hope they last afew years at least

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:02 pm

elwood,
The PCC lintols I buy are reinforced with what looks like wire rope. If these are used in a wet underground location I would expect rusting to take place from the ends.
What does take in time money and effort to spread a smear of silcone seal on the bare steel ends? Or more to the point what does it cost to replace the underground lintol if in a few years time the bearing ends spall.
end

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:00 am

it's actuall the steel bars that run through the concrete that are pre-stressed, not the concrete itself. during manufacture they stretch the steel reinforcers, putting them under tension. they then keep them under tension and pour on the concrete. the concrete sets and the steel remains tense, giving it a springiness with increases strength by resisting compression forces under load. cutting lintels is common and does not affect the strength, in fact it could be argued it makes them stronger by increasing the thickness to length ratio.

elwood
Ganger
Ganger

Post by elwood » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:46 pm

it's actuall the steel bars that run through the concrete that are pre-stressed, not the concrete itself. during manufacture they stretch the steel reinforcers, putting them under tension. they then keep them under tension and pour on the concrete. the concrete sets and the steel remains tense, giving it a springiness with increases strength by resisting compression forces under load. cutting lintels is common and does not affect the strength, in fact it could be argued it makes them stronger by increasing the thickness to length ratio.

And your point is ?

Bye

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:55 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:53 pm