All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scottishladdie
Labourer
Labourer

Pressure Boiler help!!!!

by scottishladdie » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:15 pm

Ok..

So I've got an Ideal Elan 2 boiler (ancient) and apparently it's a pressure boiler.

Every now and again the hot water and central heating stop working, had heating engineers out via the landlord and apparently it's the pressure. I've got instructions but they don't really help!!!

"When the pressure drops below 0 turn the tap on the pipe and the knob under the gauge (done) and the pressure should move up. Once it's between 1.5 and 2 then turn the tap back and twist back the knob"

When I do the second bit it doesn't turn anything on, and sometimes even the pressure drops again. There's a knob ABOVE the gauge that changes the pressure too, does that change much???

Nothing seems to be working, no matter how much I fidddle with it! Any ideas?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:59 am

[quote]Once it's between 1.5 and 2 then turn the tap back and twist back the knob" [/quote]

Not really sure what you mean about turn the tap back and twist the knob ?

The knob above the pressure gauge ? this sounds like the pressure relief valve, if you turn this then you will lose all the pressure you've just put into the system.

Fiddling isn't really the best method of trying to remedy a fault on a central heating appliance. If you really have no idea what you are doing, then leave it for the heating engineer.

You say you've had heating engineers out via the landlord, so it's not really your problem. You pay rent for problems like this to be sorted, get the heating engineers back and get them to repair it. The pressure shouldn't drop, if it does there's a leak or problem somewhere.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:46 pm