Pressure drop/leaking pipe somewhere!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gkelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pressure drop/leaking pipe somewhere!

Post by gkelly » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:40 pm

:x
I just wanted a second opinion really. My combi boiler started losing pressure last year, it would go down to zero maybe once a month, then once a week, but now (the last two weeks), i refill in the morning and literally an hour later it is back to zero again.
I KNOW i have a leak!! I have looked everywhere above floor-level as i have laminate flooring everywhere and it will be a nightmare to pull it all up as i have no idea which pipe it might be leaking from.
Ive checked all the valves and the outside pipe and cant see any water.
I dont think it is upstairs as i would see the water on the ceilings so it must be downstairs somewhere.
One gas engineer recommended putting Fernox sealer in the system, but someone else has said it can clog the pump??
Another piece of advice was to chop out my airbrick and see if i can see the pipes that are in the front room and see if any water is there.....
I used a 'damp detector' on the floors downstairs to see if it would pick up any thing, but i dont think it could get a reading through the laminate.
But the reading did shoot through the roof when i put it on the floorboard nearest the pipe work at the bottom of the boiler.
Any suggestions on the right way to go about this??? i am really worried that the boiler is going to blow up!! Plus i am worried about using hot water now!
Thanks very much.

Rampo
Apprentice
Apprentice

Water leak

Post by Rampo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:32 pm

Have you checked the pressure relief pipe? A godd way to do this is secure a plastic bag around the pipe outside - if it fills with water the pressure relief valve is faulty.

Other than that there is a leak some where and sounds like under the boiler might be a good place to start. Hot water will continue to work so long as you keep refilling. If its been going on as long as you say I would have thought there would be some evidence by now.

charlesmckenna
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Pressure drop/leaking pipe somewhere!

Post by charlesmckenna » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:02 pm

[quote="gkelly"]:x
I just wanted a second opinion really. My combi boiler started losing pressure last year, it would go down to zero maybe once a month, then once a week, but now (the last two weeks), i refill in the morning and literally an hour later it is back to zero again.
I KNOW i have a leak!! I have looked everywhere above floor-level as i have laminate flooring everywhere and it will be a nightmare to pull it all up as i have no idea which pipe it might be leaking from.
Ive checked all the valves and the outside pipe and cant see any water.
I dont think it is upstairs as i would see the water on the ceilings so it must be downstairs somewhere.
One gas engineer recommended putting Fernox sealer in the system, but someone else has said it can clog the pump??
Another piece of advice was to chop out my airbrick and see if i can see the pipes that are in the front room and see if any water is there.....
I used a 'damp detector' on the floors downstairs to see if it would pick up any thing, but i dont think it could get a reading through the laminate.
But the reading did shoot through the roof when i put it on the floorboard nearest the pipe work at the bottom of the boiler.
Any suggestions on the right way to go about this??? i am really worried that the boiler is going to blow up!! Plus i am worried about using hot water now!
Thanks very much.[/quote]

wishiwascorgi
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by wishiwascorgi » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:24 pm

if your pipes are going down the wall from the boiler then the leak could be under the floor and that is why you have not seen any water. the leak sealer is a good recommendation as i use it on residential and commercial systems and i have not been called back for a leak or to replace a pump. that would be the cheapest option to repair the leak and once it has sealed the leak you can always empty your system and flush it all out the leak would not break down as it hardens on contact with the air

gkelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gkelly » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:33 pm

There is def no leak from the pressure vessel on the outside wall - i did the whole plastic bag trick - no water!
I pulled up one floorboard in the boiler room, to see the pipes that lead directly down from the boiler - no water....
So the leak is somewhere under my laminate floor in any of the 3 rooms downstairs - great.
I will try the sealant i think - unless anyone knows any easy way of getting up the laminate and the floorboards without causing havoc???

wishiwascorgi
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by wishiwascorgi » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:57 pm

use the leak sealant. It is a lot cheaper than ripping up your flooring

gkelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Fix for Leak / low pressure on combi

Post by gkelly » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:43 pm

:D
In the end i did have to take up my laminate as i could smell a 'damp' smell and when we finally looked, there was a little lake under my floorboards. So there was the leak! Every time we filled the pressure back up on the boiler, sure enough - the water would just come spraying back out of a joint on the pipework (under the floor).
So we got that repaired - simple job really.

Now the pressure is abit eratic - so i think its the presure valve as i can see alot of water on the floor outside coming from the pressure relief pipe - is this correct??

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:13 pm

what do you mean by eratic ?

if the boiler pressure is rising when the heating is on and there's water coming out of the pressure relief valve then it sounds like a problem with the pressure vessel. May need re-pressurising or renewing.

gkelly
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gkelly » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:52 am

Yes, it does rise quite alot when the heating comes on and then is back to zero when its off.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:36 pm

sounds like the pressure vessel is the problem.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1