Pressure relief pipe
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Spanner
Apprentice
Apprentice

Pressure relief pipe

by Spanner » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:05 pm

I have recently had a new system fitted and the boiler moved from the kitchen to the airing cupboard. The condensate pipe and the pressure relief pipe run into a pump, the hose runs into the loft space and out into the gutter. BG have been out to service it so that we can have it on contract but say that the pressure relief pipe cannot terminate inside a building and that the pipe that runs into the gutter, although insulated will almost definately freeze so is not best practice. I have been in touch with the plumber who admits that he installed the wrong pump, but has since been out the install a different pump(pump house PH-3-8L-HW) which the condensate and relief pipe run into. My plumber says it is ok to be fitted in this manner but BG say otherwise, what are the regs on this?

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Pressure relief pipe

by plastic_man77 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:25 pm

@ Spanner

The pump terminating in the gutter isn't a good idea. BG are right in saying it will almost definately freeze, block with snow or general debris that always clogs gutters (moss etc). The PRV should normally/always terminate outside- look at your boiler manufacturer instructions. Read what is says about the PRV. If you're still not sure, ring the manufacturer and ask their advice. If they say no to the way the PRV is installed, then your plumber has not done his job right.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1