Probelm with Damp, Advice Needed
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dan251183
Labourer
Labourer

Probelm with Damp, Advice Needed

by dan251183 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:38 am

Hello, I wonder if anyone can give me some advice?

My wife and I live in a 2 bedroom victorian flat with our 7 month old baby son. We are currently renting this property as we can not yet afford to buy. We have been living in the flat for almost a year, but have recently noticed a rapid growth of damp in one of the bedrooms and in the kitchen.

The flat is quite large and has high ceilings with single glazed sash windows, so there is a slight probelm with condensation. The walls that are affected are both external, we have been told by a builder that the external walls are like crazy paving and that water is seeking in. Our landloard is not will to make any repairs at the moment as he feels its to expensive, so I called the council in to have a look.

The guy from the council said that the damp is being caused by condensation, and that the way to resolve this is to open the windows and turn the heating up, which is not much help during the winter. He reconds the paster work is fine, however you can feels its absolutlye socking wet and is crublming away. We thought the council would put presure on the landloard to make the repairs, but they want!

We now do not know whether the damp is a health risk or not, a can't decided wheather we should find some else.

Can the damp and mould be harmful? especially to babies?

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 pm

YES,YES, YES!
The thing you have to watch for is black or green mould.
Once mould takes hold it develops millions of spores that take off, when you move past and fly into the air, they are invisible, but very dangerous.
They can cause a number of chest problems, which can turn to pneumonia, and that can kill.
Move out, find somewhere else, look after your baby.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:53 am