Problem in attic
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Digger_man82
Labourer
Labourer

Problem in attic

by Digger_man82 » Mon May 19, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi all

I have a attic room that used to be used as a bedroom which has 2 double sockets and a strip light with a two way switch attached, that no longer works.

There is a single 1.5mm twin and earth cable running up in to the attic, that runs in to a 30amp junction box. This is protected by a 20 Amp fuse at the Consumer Unit. There is a cable that runs to the sockets which work fine. There is a seperate cable that runs to a fused switched unit with a 3Amp fuse in it that runs to the light.
The cable is live to the fused switched unit to where is says supply, but isn't from where it reads load.

I would like to replace the two existing sockets with new ones and add two more double sockets and replace the strip light with two pendant fittings with both on the two way switches.

Is this possible and how would you suggest it is carried out ?

all help will be greatly appreciated

digger_man82

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Problem in attic

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:32 pm

[quote="Digger_man82"]Hi all

I have a attic room that used to be used as a bedroom which has 2 double sockets and a strip light with a two way switch attached, that no longer works.

There is a single 1.5mm twin and earth cable running up in to the attic, that runs in to a 30amp junction box. This is protected by a 20 Amp fuse at the Consumer Unit. There is a cable that runs to the sockets which work fine. There is a seperate cable that runs to a fused switched unit with a 3Amp fuse in it that runs to the light.
The cable is live to the fused switched unit to where is says supply, but isn't from where it reads load.

I would like to replace the two existing sockets with new ones and add two more double sockets and replace the strip light with two pendant fittings with both on the two way switches.

Is this possible and how would you suggest it is carried out ?

all help will be greatly appreciated

digger_man82[/quote]

DIGGERMAN

I think the 1.5mm2 is too small for connected loads
and should not be on a 20 amp mcb.
get in a electrician to help u.

BLAKEY1963

mccuejonathan
Labourer
Labourer

attic conversions

by mccuejonathan » Fri May 23, 2008 11:33 am

what is the best way to run eletric cables through your loft ?
and what is the best way of lighting it ?

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri May 23, 2008 1:16 pm

mccuejonathan
Your question is like how long is a piece of string.
We have to take into consideration volt drop on cables, insulation, and summer temperatures. Together with what the cables will supply, the max current, the norm current and how long it will be used for. We have nearly 400 pages of regulations to follow before we start on user manuals. In general we try to keep cables away from areas where installation may be put on top of them. And discharge lighting gives out less heat than normal bulbs so is less likely to burn you in a restricted space or set anything else on fire. Also when they fail they are less likely to drop any items likely to set things on fire.
Digger_man82
Yes it can be done. But there are many considerations. And as BLAKEY1963 says you would need new feeds which would most likely come under Part P. To guide someone who knows most of what they need and has one or two questions is reasonable but to attempt to assist you in what you are considering with the knowledge you seem to have would not be really doing you any favors and could end up costing you more than you save as a DIY project. I would suggest you get an electrician to look at it for you.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:07 am