All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MattM2017
Labourer
Labourer

Problem in new Flat With Smell From Durgo Valve

by MattM2017 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi all,
I have been having a similar problem. I have bought a flat that has been built by total cowboys. I regularly come across things that are faulty or just not acceptable. When I hire builders to solve the problems they comment on how badly constructed the items are.

This time it appears to be my Durgo Valve. I have looked all over my bathroom for the source of the bad smells. It wasn't until I took the top of the valve and the top of the pipe apart that I realised what was going on. With the aid of a torch I could see there was a lot of sludge/waste in the (still attached) bend and a lot of crust on the inside of the pipe. I cleaned the waste from the inside of the pipe and put it back together. The valve seemed to be mobile and free from restriction. I have also been doing some research on line and noticed the the Durgo Valve is below the waterline of the cistern which is not recommended.

There is a flat above me that extends into the eaves so going through the roof isn't and option I want to entertain and the bathroom/toilet is has no external walls so venting through a wall isn't an option either.

Will extending the pipe to above the floodline and perhaps a new valve eliminate the problem or have I got a much bigger/scarier problem on my hands?

Are there better options on valves out there? I suspect the valve I have in place is the cheapest option!

Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Problem in new Flat With Smell From Durgo Valve

by stoneyboy » Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi mattM2017,
As long as the Durgo is above the pan rim you should be ok. Fit a new durgo and see if this solves the problem.
Regards. Stoneyboy.

MattM2017
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Problem in new Flat With Smell From Durgo Valve

by MattM2017 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks Stoneyboy. The Durgo was coming out of 90 degree elbow that had rotated and the Durgo was at an angle. It is now back to the vertical so I suppose the trap mechanism has all the gravitational help it needs. I also cleaned the Durgo and pipework which, fingers crossed, seems to have eliminated the smells entirely. Thanks

stoneyboy wrote:Hi mattM2017,
As long as the Durgo is above the pan rim you should be ok. Fit a new durgo and see if this solves the problem.
Regards. Stoneyboy.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:48 pm