Problem papering wall
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

Problem papering wall

by Newbee » Wed May 09, 2007 4:05 pm

I don't know if you can help me but here goes, I've a problem with an interior surface on a gable end wall, some time in the past

there must have been a dampness problem caused by condensation, it had since been remedied by installing cavity wall insulation and central heating.

The wall surface is a wet plaster finish straight on to brick.

This surface was treated with a material supposedly to help prevent dampness problems as I think they assumed it was as a result of moisture penetration.

Now this material is black a has a slightly tackiness to it and is not stable, it had been covered with several coats of paint in the past but has been exposed during

redecoration in places. This is where it is causing me problems, the last I wall papered this wall 4-5 months later brown stains started to come through and of course has

ruined the finish. I'm now about to redecorate and need to seal this wall to stop this happening again, can you suggest any product that will do the job for me?

If not, you might be better placed to pass this on to someone who can answer my question.

Regards
Richard

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Thu May 10, 2007 9:05 am

Ok guys its maybe a strange one, tackieness might not be the word I'm looking for but it can be scraped with a finger nail quite easily, I think it may have a bitumen quality.
Please guys. I need some feedback as the wife is getting inpatiant.........know what I mean!

thedoctor2
Ganger
Ganger

by thedoctor2 » Thu May 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi
The staining your talking about suggests to me that its soot was there an old chimney there at one time , is seal it with an alkali resting primer and go from there .
Hope this helps

Newbee
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Newbee » Thu May 10, 2007 3:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback but the wall is a gable wall with no chimney and it has definitly been covered with a man made material as they have lapped it round on to the joining walls and when I removed the wood that the hand rail was attached to and there was not trace of it.
I take your advice Doc 2 as I've a painter in the family and he did mention
an alkali paint but don't remember the 'resting part' is there a difference?

Thanks again

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:25 am