Problem using self drills for fixing to plasterboard
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
radi
Labourer
Labourer

Problem using self drills for fixing to plasterboard

Post by radi » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:35 am

Hi Folks

This is my first post here so hello to you all.

I have used the self drills, similar to Redidrive, a few times and have found that once you have screwed in the the self tapping section section into the plasterboard and offered up the lightweight fixture and then screwed into the plasterboard, that you are then unable to remove the screw alone without the whole lot coming out resulting in the hole not being reusable.

I do not know if this is a common problem or not.

I have two questions to ask.

Is the way around this to grease the screw before inserting, and if so what type of grease/ lubricant would be best?

Now that the self tapper part cannot be reinserted into the hole and the fixing must go in the exact same place, are there any alternatives to using glue to attach the metal fixing to the plasterboard walls.

I am aware of a repair kit offered by a manufacturer, but not sure if I can name it on this site, where you can insert a plastic rawlplug into the hole after wrapping it with certain material. I wonder if anyone has used it?

Any help would be appreciated.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:44 pm

radi,
It's a common problem especially with the cheaper self drill fixings which are poorly made. If you want something to replace the fixings where there is already a hole use plasterboard anchors - use grips to hold the flange of anchor body and a battery driver to expand the wings. Remove the screw and then refit through the item you are hanging.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:13 pm