Problem With 2-way Light Switches in Kitchen Only Working After 6 or 7 Attempts
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JohnB333
Apprentice
Apprentice

Problem With 2-way Light Switches in Kitchen Only Working After 6 or 7 Attempts

by JohnB333 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:13 pm

i have a strange problem! The fluorescent light tube in the kitchen is controlled by 2 x 2-way switches. Yesterday the light would not operate from either of the switches. I then repeatedly operated one of the switches and at the 6th attempt the light came on! The same thing happened with the other switch, i.e.the light came on only after 6/7 attempts.
There doesn't appear to be any loose wires at the back of the 2 switches, and the tube remains functional, without any flickering, until I finally switch it off.
Would it be worthwhile replacing the switches, or could it be more complicated than this?

Any advice would most welcome!

Thanks!

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Problem With 2-way Light Switches in Kitchen Only Working After 6 or 7 Attempts

by ericmark » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:35 pm

It could be the fluorescent lamp or the switch. Flicking a switch on and off will often get a fluorescent which is ageing or under voltage to fire up. Often you will see the fluorescent flash as it tries to start.

I would swap tube and starter first if that does not work then swap switches. Do change both tube and starter together (if it has a starter) as an ageing tube tends to stress the starter and a stressed starter can damage a new tube so swap as a pair.

JohnB333
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Problem With 2-way Light Switches in Kitchen Only Working After 6 or 7 Attempts

by JohnB333 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:47 am

Thanks for your reply, ericmark. The tube and holder are relatively new, about 6 months old and still under warranty. There does not appear to be any starter with the equipment. I will do as you advise and swop the lot over for a new set. Hope I can find the Homebase receipt!

JohnB333
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JohnB333 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:23 pm

Problem solved! Home Base replaced it...............without the original receipt! Wired it up, (simple even for me), and it worked first time!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:58 pm