Problem with installing a new light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
el_stig
Labourer
Labourer

Problem with installing a new light

by el_stig » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:16 pm

I have read through a few people's problems, and also read a couple of guides, but alas, to no avail.

I am replacing a light, i did not remove the old unit, therefore dont know where the wires came from. It is part of the downstairs ring and has 5 wires going into the it, 3 of these have live, neutral and earth, 2 have just live and earth. The light also has 2 switches which operate it.

I have wired up the ring a number of times and all the lights work, but the kitchen light (the one i am changing) is always on! I have found (i think) that one of the black wires is the switch light, i have marked this, but it still doesnt change anything.

can anyone think of a way to wire this up i may not have tried? i can take photos if that would help anyone!

if i havent explained clearly please ask me to clarify!

thanks for any help in advance!

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Problem with installing a new light

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:37 am

[quote="el_stig"]I have read through a few people's problems, and also read a couple of guides, but alas, to no avail.

I am replacing a light, i did not remove the old unit, therefore dont know where the wires came from. It is part of the downstairs ring and has 5 wires going into the it, 3 of these have live, neutral and earth, 2 have just live and earth. The light also has 2 switches which operate it.

I have wired up the ring a number of times and all the lights work, but the kitchen light (the one i am changing) is always on! I have found (i think) that one of the black wires is the switch light, i have marked this, but it still doesnt change anything.

can anyone think of a way to wire this up i may not have tried? i can take photos if that would help anyone!

if i havent explained clearly please ask me to clarify!

thanks for any help in advance![/quote]

el-stig

the black with a red tag ( your switch) wire goes ito the light fitting , live
terminal . this should switch your light. Isolate supply safely.
you could also get the advice of your local electrician to verify.

BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi,
I would guess what you have is an old fashioned way of 2 way switching, using single core plus earths .
to confirm look at connections to Com. terms at switches, if the above cables go there then I am right.
Please look at switches & tell us what cables and colours are there,
as Blakey says this may need 'hands on' help as combinations are many,
sorry,
Sparx

el_stig
Labourer
Labourer

by el_stig » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Inthe two plugs are single core plus earths, so i immediatly assumed that connecting these to the fitting would give the switching i needed, but using a continuity tester i found a switch live (but since connecting this i have found that i have connected the switch from the lounge!)

i think sparx u are right! this maybe too much for me to explain over the internet and being a total novice, i may have to accept defeat!

thanks for your help!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:59 pm