All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DanielDeronda
Labourer
Labourer

Problem with Reassembling U-Bend in Kitchen Sink after Maintenance

by DanielDeronda » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:55 pm

I have hopefully a fairly simple query.

I've been having some problems with my washing machine and have been attempting to clean out all the muck from inside the pipes/pumps etc.

I've managed to reconnect all bar the u-bend under the kitchen sink. I've got 1 end connected but can't do the other.

I have a white plastic compression nut/cap (tapered), 1 black rubber washer (tapered on 1 side) and a blue plastic washer.

I should have looked at how the connection was made before disconnection, but thought it was easy enough to do after.

Can you advise what order I need to put the washers/cap in and how I tighten the connection for there to be no leaks.

I don't want to get a plumber out as I feel this is a relatively easy job. BTW, I have a fairly new u-bend, so wear and tear shouldn't be an issue.
Attachments
compression cap (white plastic) for u-bend connection
compression cap (white plastic) for u-bend connection
white compression cap for u bend.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
u-bend is where my issue is
u-bend is where my issue is
kitchen-sink-u-bend-p-trap-with-washing-machine-inlet-40004029-1651-p[ekm]300x283[ekm].jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 11278 times
black rubber washer for u-bend connection
black rubber washer for u-bend connection
Black rubber washer for kitchen sink.jpg (5.03 KiB) Viewed 11278 times

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Problem with Reassembling U-Bend in Kitchen Sink after Maintenance

by diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:35 am

This is probably the article that you need to look at, and there is a great video about connecting the hoses, including the washing machine waste to the U-bend:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/machinewastes.htm

Slide the nut onto the pipe, then slide the blue plastic washer so it will sit inside the nut. Finally slide the plastic washer on to the pipe, tapered side facing the U-bend.

Now you can connect the nut (and therefore the pipe) to the U-bend, and it should not leak.

If this doesn't make sense, here is a fuller explanation of plastic compression fitting (with pictures!):

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/co ... nwaste.htm

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:00 pm