Problems converting from single to double socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mantamark
Apprentice
Apprentice

Problems converting from single to double socket

by mantamark » Sat May 31, 2008 11:57 am

In our flat we are busy decorating the living room, hooray.

Its always bugged me that there was a single socket on one wall, all the others are doubles.

Next to the single socket (with a 5mm gap) is a blank cover (there used to be a light fitting on the wall, the wires still run down the wall to this cover, i assume this was the switch for the light)

So, i figure, turn electrics off, pull both covers off, remove metal cages, fit new double cage, plaster in around it & rewire new double socket.

Well, there are two lots of wires, i assume this is on the ring main, which is fine.

I have made a massive error in my haste, the wires all went to the single socket, on the left hand side.

The wires now do not reach to my double socket fixings ( now in the centre of the hole) and i can not pull the wires through any further.

My question is, is there any way to lengthen the wires by around 1 or 1.5cm safely?

Hope someone can help, as i really need to finish this one way or another today, as i cant leave the socket hanging out of the wall & we need electricity back on & im working away next week!

Oh dear.

Many thanks for some speedy replies!

Mark.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat May 31, 2008 11:48 pm

This is hard to answer many of us would cheat. The problem is although you could use crimps to use them in such a limited space is very hard. And it would need proper crimp pliers not the cheap DIY type. Choc block would present the same sorts of problems due to limited rooms. So soldering and putting shrink sleeve over the joint (type with resin in so it can't slide after fitting) is about the only method that can be used in such a confined space. Even then it takes the flexibility out of the wire. And we are talking about skill and I am sure I could do it, but as to telling someone else to do it I am not sure. I would consider moving the socket box to match cables as even with soldering if in the future some one opens the box being that much stiffer it is easy to either damage the joint or pull cable out of socket.
So moving socket box would be best and only if it can't be moved due to other items on the wall would I consider extending cables. If I did extend cables I would normally use a deeper than normal box.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:52 pm