Problems getting plans approved - help req'd ??
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Steevo_Tabasco
Labourer
Labourer

Problems getting plans approved - help req'd ??

by Steevo_Tabasco » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:22 am

Good morning all,

Looking for some advice on planning & if I Can do anything else in my quest ?!?
Im a Mechanical Engineer - so no professional building trade / planning experience, living in Scotland. Currently planning to build an extension, I have drawn up an extension proposal and have submitted to local planning development services.
after much emailing and chasing with the allocated tech the response I received was unfavourable (they have deemed the extension was to the principal elevation and hence shut the doors on the plans)... now here’s where my problem is - there are about 10 properties in the area, with extensions to the same side as my proposal some built within the last 2 yrs ?
(How can the planning services approve 1 but refuse another?) I submitted quite a large portfolio with photographs of the properties with these extensions along with a map of the area indicating these properties in regards to my own ...
with my limited (well lack of) experience relating to planning rules & reg's how can my principal elevation be different to someone elses property, they have deemed the others to be rear extensions - even if the extension fronts the road (highway) / the letter box (front door) / access all are the same as my own , really cant get my head round it

I have checked the councils website and all properties are planning approved
1x property has only the approved building warrant (but the council say this is unauthorised - are they lying ? how can a property have the warrant approved but be unauthorised ?)

Should I pay for a planning application and hope that a planning committee approve the decision would an architect with more knowledge of the laws & regs be able to fight my case better or should I employ a solicitor to fight my case ??

any advice would be greatly appreciated - I can post all relevant doc's & email trails if required

thanks,
Steven

DevilDamo
Tradesman
Tradesman

by DevilDamo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:53 pm

Why not appeal the refusal?

The planning system/process is not simple. Each development is on a case by case basis and on its own merits so just because others have had it done, there's no guarantee you would go the same way, which it appears it has not.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1