problems installation of spotlight and wall switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
damo1
Labourer
Labourer

problems installation of spotlight and wall switch

Post by damo1 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi

my first post!

i am having a few problems i have installed a mercury mini plate spot light and i am having problems with the wiring....

i have managed to fit the spot light and have 2 main wires coming from the celing the wiring which i understand has been linked with the spot light but i have another wire with 2 main live red wires and an wire copper earth, which im not quite sure what the cable and wiring is for (perhaps dimmer). the main problem i have is that i the light is unable to switch off, i have checked the wall switch which is is just a standard on/off switch, and this has 2 main red wires linked on the bottom of the switch and and an earth which is attached top the wall fixture? can anyone tell me is it the switch or the wiring?
perhaps i need a dimmer switch any help would be great.

thanks

Damon

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:49 am

In many houses the red or brown line wires all go together but not to lamp it is a black or blue wire with a red or brown sleeve which feeds the lamp.
See http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html does that help?
Eric

damo1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by damo1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:05 pm

Hi
Eric

thanks for your reply, i have managed to fitt the 2 red live cables into the light block, but no room for the other red (live) cable into the block as 3 will not fitt, the copper wire has also joined the other copper wire into the block, but the main problem im having as there is no celing rose, is that i cant get a knock out on the lights.... they just stay on and i am unable to use a switch method on the wall switch? any other suggestions, could i send or post you some pics? many thanks again Eric.

Damon

damo1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by damo1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi Eric,

could i send or post you a few pics to see where im going wrong, i have managed to wire match the reds and the copper as thier is no celing rose, but i have no knock out on the lights... they just stay on unable to use the wall switch. any suggestions pls..

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:59 am

Sorry notification arrived early before post released so missed it. Yes you can post pictures but my email may reject them not sure. There has been a virus which comes up as I have some new pictures you have not seen yet and very nasty so all pictures now rejected.
But stick them on a web site with link and I'll look.
Eric

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:56 pm