Problems with Dulux Primer Sealer over distemper
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
talktorhona
Labourer
Labourer

Problems with Dulux Primer Sealer over distemper

by talktorhona » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:03 pm

My bedroom walls had a blue chalky covering on them (under the wallpaper) which I believe to be distemper. I assumed this as there was some similar chalky red stuff under the wllpaper in bedroom no. 1 which I scrubbed off over many days.

I wanted a quick fix for bedroom 2 so bought some Dulux Primer Sealer which is a solvent based and supposedly suitable for distemper and 'painted plaster'. (There are some patches of old emulsion paint on the wall, alongside and over the distemper).

I sanded the walls where they looked dodgy. I then applied the Primer Sealer and let dry for 2 days. I then painted over the sealer on one wall in Dulux white emulsion. I used a roller and big chunks of the wall started to flake off onto it. It had bubbled and flaked under the new emulsion in some areas and looked fine in others. I don't want this to happen to the other 3 walls so what do people suggest I do? Is there a quick remedy?

I have a feeling the right thing to do now would be to scrub/scrape off all the distemper back to original plaster (as I did in bedroom 1) and start again. If so, does anyone have any tips for REMOVING DISTEMPER THAT IS COATED IN SOLVENT BASED PRIMER SEALER? I want to avoid using any more solvent based stuff as it is making the whole household feel sick.

Thanking you in advance :)

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Problems with Dulux Primer Sealer over distemper

by theshedman » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:00 am

It does sound like you should do as you did the first time and get it all off and start from scratch. Now that you have put on a sealer you are going to have to break that seal. Maybe use something like one of these just so that you can get some moisture behind it. (Google "tooled-up.com/SubCategory.asp?CID=18&SCID=164") After breaking the seal use warm water with some washing up liquid in it to loosen the distemper and it should all come off quite easily. The washing up liquid will make it easier to do and the water will not run down the walls so easily. It helps to keep it wet for longer so it loosens it with not so many wettings.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:58 am