Problems with Low Voltage Lighting lampholders burning out.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SparkyG
Labourer
Labourer

Problems with Low Voltage Lighting lampholders burning out.

by SparkyG » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:17 pm

I had a single pendant light fitting in my kitchen which has been replaced with 12 low voltage fittings.

The wiring was done by my builder/electrician who left me to install the transformer and fitting. Each fitting was fitted with its own transformer.

After a few weeks one of the lamps blew, this was replaced but however further investigation found that the wires on the lampholder had burnt out.

I replaced the lampholder, however the same thing happened a few days later with another fitting.

I checked the voltage coming from the transfomers which was approx 9.0 V.

I returned all the transformers from where i bought them, they also replaced the lamp holders with their "expensive top of the range" lampholder.

However the lampholders have now started to burn out again.

Could the wiring done by the builder/electrician be at fault ?

What is the correct way this wiring should have been done ?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

skin
Apprentice
Apprentice

by skin » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:34 pm

hi, there may be a problem at the connector block, seems like it may be 5A, these burnout frequently due to poor ventilation. try connecting with a 20A connector block and it should be ok. as long as your wiring loop is 1.0mm or 1.5mm.

electricman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by electricman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:18 pm

The wires between the lamp holder and the connector need to be insulated wirh silicon and not PVC and the lamp holders need to be ceramic.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:42 am