Problems with newly laid wooden floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
breen01
Labourer
Labourer

Problems with newly laid wooden floor

by breen01 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi,

I recently had an engineered wood floor laid in my flat. Half way through the fitter flagged that there was a problem with the floor - specifically that the planks were not thoroughly coated with protective oil. We stopped work and the suppliers came to inspect the planks. They said it was fine and that the difference in finish on the planks was caused by different levels of sap content in the wood.

We finished laying the floor and within days hours all the protective oil had flaked off all of the planks. Sine then some of the planks have split down the entire length of the planks. The supplier is saying the floor must have been badly laid for these two things to happen. The fitter didn't put down a damp proof membrane and has said it was necessary as the existing floor (plastic tiling) acted as a damp proof membrane. Does anyone know whether the oil coming off the floor and/or some planks cracking could be caused by not having put in a damp proof membrane?

Thanks

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 pm

sounds to me like the flooring company is trying to wriggle out of it. if i were you i'd bypass the supplier altogether and go straight to the manufacturer and see what they have to say.

they are pretty helpful and will most likely send somebody round to have a look. often they are quick to put their hands up if they feel responsible and offer a solution/refund/compensation.

what is it laid onto? you say plastic tiles, presumably you mean vinyl and on top of concrete? in theory there should be a dpm under the screed somewhere, depending on the age of the property. and is the subfloor nice and level?

if possible post a couple of pics on here it may help determine the cause. one of a piece of flooring close up and one of the overall area.

there could potentially be an issue with condensation beneath the floor i guess, but it would take a heck of a lot longer than a few days for that to become a noticeable problem. and that can even be a problem with a dpm anyway.

breen01
Labourer
Labourer

by breen01 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi Chris,

That's really helpful - thank you.

Yes, vinyl tiles on top of concrete and the building was built in 1968 so 43 years old. I'll take some pictures and post them.

Thanks,
Fiona

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:47 pm