Problems with Wiring when Changing Existing Socket for Metal Socket

Postby miketurnermk » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi,

I wanted to change my 1 way light switch for a new metal socket thinking it would be really easy to do.

I had 2 brown wires going to L1 and 1 going to L2; with some earth and blue cables left in the junction box:

LightOld.jpg
Original Light Switch

My original understanding for changing light switches was to just copy the same connectors; as well as adding a wire to the earth as it's a metal switch but the switch isn't working.

This is the new fitting:

NewSocket.jpg
New Fitting

And these are the instructions:

InstallGuide.jpg
Install Guide

If I go by the instructions it has a completely different layout to what I have at the moment; i.e. using the L1 and L.

Short of calling an electrician out to do the job properly, is there a simple answer to help me get this fitted please?

Thanks
miketurnermk
Progress to next rank:
75%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby diydoctor6 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:27 pm

It looks like you have the wrong switch; the one you took off is a 2 terminal switch (1 gang) but you're connecting up a 3 terminal switch (2 gang). Find out more here:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/wh ... switch.htm

It's hard to see but that's what it looks like. If this is what you are trying to do (ie, add a 2 gang switch), it might be a a good idea to get an electrician in. You can find a local one here:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find-tradesmen/
diydoctor6
Progress to next rank:
55.3%

Postby ericmark » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:17 am

Just use L and L1 should work fine.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!