Projest Study Help
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kristian
Apprentice
Apprentice

Projest Study Help

by Kristian » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:31 pm

Can anyone assist me.

I am doing a design Course for university. I am attempting to design a system, similar to a consumer unit, where you are able to turn off lights & Sockets from one central location.

I have thought about adding further switches to the consumer unit and placing it near the door or exit. Anyone leaving the house can then turn off specific lights or sockets from the main source (ie the consumer unit). This will hopefully help reduce energy consumption and bills as people will not leave applicances on stand-by but turn the electric off from the source.

Can anyone tell me if this is a possibility? What kind of work would be involved if someone wanted to use their sonsumer unit like this (ie wiring, difficulty, cost, etc?).

Your help & advice would be much appreciated.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi Kristian,
not sure if you are talking theoretically or component level but such systems are already available commercially as part of 'smart house' systems from co. such as LeGrand electrical, also many ways of doing it ie;
digital pulse down mains wiring, wireless modules to fit inside standard switches for lights, or the way we do it at home here, using 'plug-through' socket adaptors with wireless 'zapper' controlling up to 12 devices per unit
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:04 pm