Propane boiler in loft ?????
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Propane boiler in loft ?????

by collectors » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:44 am

Hi, just brought a bungalow with no gas in the area, so we will get a propane tank fitted & be able to have a boiler & cooking via gas.
Question is! Can we get a boiler fitted in the loft on a gable end wall. & continue to the gas hob via the loft, or is it not allowed. Naturally marking of pipes & appropriate detectors would be fitted.

Thanks,

Chris.

Dick Puller
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Propane boiler in loft ?????

by Dick Puller » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Chris, why are you heating your home with LPG?? There's much cheaper fuels for home heating.
For example you could fit an oil boiler & have a couple of gas cylinders for cooking.
That would be much cheaper.

If you're home is well insulated, you could fit a geothermal heat pump - you can afford it?? Even an air source heat pump would be a cheaper to run than LPG, but your house needs to be well insulated!!
HTH

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Propane boiler in loft ?????

by collectors » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi Dick Puller, at the moment LPG is a touch cheaper per KW than oil. An oil tank is around £1000.00 just to buy, where a gas tank just cost me £400.00 fitted with pipe work to the house. (They are doing good deals on gas tanks at the mo) & the gas boiler i have got for a 4 bed bungalow cost £750.00 where as an oil equivalent is around £1400.00 minimum. Gives me around a £12-1500.00 saving in the 1st year.
On the heat pump or air pump, i am fortunate that i have the space & land for either, but they are just not financially viable for a single person like myself. We have been involved with sites that have fitted these & they seem to pay for themselves on larger installations but take far to long for a payback on a place my size. This is also assuming nothing goes wrong in the 1st 10 years.

Cheers

Chris

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:43 am