Protecting Outside Bricks Using Water Seal Solution

Postby Rita » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:09 pm

A DIY man told me today that best way to protect the outside bricks is to paint some sort of water solution which will stop the rain from penetrating through the bricks and masonary rather than pointing. Can you please advise whether this is a sensible approach in protecting the bricks on an old house. I would have preferred pointing but he said it would cost too much and I would need scaffolding. Thank you.
Rita
Progress to next rank:
25%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Grantx » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:01 pm

A building/brickwork needs to 'breath' by via a freeflow of air (one of the reasons for cavities); sealants stop this. Brick will outlast all on this forum, including yourself; they don't need protecting.

If you have problems caused by water, it needs to fixed, but not with sealants.

Grant.
Grantx
Progress to next rank:
21.1%

Postby LawnMower » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:01 am

Painting brickwork on older houses can be fatal.

If you have no cavity and the plaster inside is made of lime you are trapping the moisture inside the bricks and therefore it cannot breath.

However if it has a cavity (and is dry on the inside) you can safely paint the outside, though you will need to fill any mortar joints or brick holes first.
LawnMower
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!