Providing my shed with electricity.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bonding
Labourer
Labourer

Providing my shed with electricity.

by Bonding » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Hi there, I want to keep a freezer in my shed. So, I will need to connect the shed to the main house circuit. I'm assuming that I will need to comply with building regs, however in the first instance some advice on what sort of thing will be involved in the project would be useful.
The shed is very close to the house only a foot or so. So, I guess I wont need to bury cables etc. There is a socket inside the house on the wall closest to the shed and I hope that it will be possible to simlpy take a spur from that, drill through the house wall, run the cable through the wall, seal the hole with silicone and use a standard weather proof conduit and junction boxes to protect the wire as it goes over that short distance to the shed. I'm then hoping that I can fit a standard weatherproof socket inside the shed and plug in the freezer. Is there a requirement for some sort of circuit breaker in the shed? I'm also planning to install small solar power fan in the shed to keep the air circulating.
Now, I'm ALSO assuming that Iv'e got all this totally wrong and that most of this is not compatable with best practice or building regs...so if you can advise on what I should be planning to do.....please help. All the best Chris.

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:40 pm

In projects there is a link to Part P and 17th Edition also https://www2.theiet.org/Publish/WireReg ... tdoors.pdf will help this is how to wire sheds etc.
You should be able to do as you suggest only the provision of RCD's may be a problem once you have looked at links if there are any further questions fire away.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:22 am