ptoblem kitchen
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
joe2012
Labourer
Labourer

ptoblem kitchen

by joe2012 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:28 pm

I am installing a new kitchen and want toinstall free standing dishwasher and small fridge either side of the sink. Getting power in is a bit of a problem, There are 4 existing double 13a sockets in the room. Only 1 has two 2.5mm cables connected, I assume mains in and a spur out. The other 3 double sockets have only 1 2.5 cable connected...so its does not seem to be either a ring or radial main. All 4 sockets are connected back to the CU, into a 30amp fuse.

Can anyone tell me whats going on, and how to get safe power to my appliances
Cheers

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: ptoblem kitchen

by ericmark » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:20 pm

In many houses over the years DIY has caused some non compliant and in some cases dangerous wiring which is why an electrical installation report is completed each time there is a change of occupant to identify any problems.

The only way to be sure is to ring out all circuits. Measuring the loop impedance does give an indication as to what is going on. I have looked at readings for a load of sockets in the past and some readings make one realise some thing is wrong but it's only a guide taking off the sockets and ringing out is only sure way.

I have found junction boxes behind cupboards and even fuse connection units with a cupboard on top. But age is a good indicator of what to look for.

Newer houses often have to parallel cables (not strictly a ring) feeding a 20A grid switch and from that a series of radials feeding fridge, washer and other semi-fixed appliances. It is common to find rings broken and sometimes one just can't find the break and not uncommon to change the 32A fuse/MCB for a 25A so overload is avoided.

But you have a major problem in the fact you say "Fuse" which to me means it's unlikely you have any 30mA RCD's fitted. Although old sockets and cable can remain any new sockets or cable must either be RCD protected or labelled and special cable. Coupled with restrictions on working in kitchens this means likely you will need a scheme registered electrician and I would let him advise as to best options.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:27 pm