Pump broken, ominous noise from pipes
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
olly
Labourer
Labourer

Pump broken, ominous noise from pipes

by olly » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:32 pm

Hi,

I have a traditional i.e not a combi central heating system, with a hot water storage tank. A week ago, there began a series of "rumblings" from some of the pipework - a friend subsequently identified that the pump was broken.

I can get a colleague to fix it, but not until Wednesday - are there any short-term problems with using my system until then? Hot water and heating are both working fine, but the "rumblings" from certain pipes have increased fairly dramatically, and are constant, even when the system is off.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:26 am

I don't think that any serious damage could result from continuing to use the heating until Wednesday. It would probably be wise to change the timer to manual and only run the heating and water in the daytime and when the house is occupied.

I am a little concerned that the "rumbling" continues after the system is turned off. It may be a wise precaution to lower the water temperature setting on the boiler to reduce the possibility of the system boiling.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1