Pump on Mains and Hot With Mains Regulator
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TimT
Labourer
Labourer

Pump on Mains and Hot With Mains Regulator

by TimT » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:08 pm

I live in a block of flats. We have excellent (turn the taps on and stand back excellent!) cold mains direct into each property, no tanks in lofts etc. The hot is supplied via a copper immersion cylinder in each flat - the pressure being from a small header tank atop the hot tank. Hot pressure is next to useless, in fact, it is useless.

My neighbour has just had a pump fitted in his flat to boost the hot, and to achieve this had a regulator fitted to the cold mains inlet which I presume lowers the pressure at which it enters the pump. The pump is connected to both hot and cold supplies to his taps/shower.

My neighbour now has excellent pressure on his hot water, and cold.

I had quotes to fit hot water systems in my flat (unvented, pressured I think?) and the cost ran to £1500 to £1800. I was then thinking of going for a thermal storage solution as it is apparently a better system, and the cost went over £2000

My neighbour got his pump done at mates rates circa £200.

I was told I could have a pump fitted by a plumber who quoted me for the works above. Not allowed, illegal or similar words were used.

Facts please? I can't find the definitive answer on Google, only something about pumps which boost the supply of cold. I just want to increase the pressue of my hot water so I can take a reasonably pleasant shower instead of doing piroettes under a drip every morning.

Thanks.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Pump on Mains and Hot With Mains Regulator

by lets have a look » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:13 am

Plumbing in your case is finding a solution,if any other members find fault with my solutions please be polite,give an alternative and don't question my qualifications as a plumber for 40 years.

is there enough room in the airing cupboard to fit a header tank that would be a cold feed only to the shower pump,connecting in the hot feed,
I am not sure sure about the pump your neighbour had fitted to the cold main even with a regulator as the pump is meant to suck water from a water tank,but if it works,what can I say but will it eventually damage the pump,
if there isn't room for another tank,maybe drill into the existing tank and connect the cold supply that way

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:34 pm