Pumping Problem
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mw1
Labourer
Labourer

Pumping Problem

by mw1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:04 pm

I have a power shower and the problem i have is that when i turn the shower off the pump continues to run. The only way i can get the pump off is to turn off the electric supply to it. This means every time i want to use it i have to travel to the other end of the house and lean into the loft space to turn it on and off. Any idea what the problem is and is it easy fixed

Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:36 pm

Different pumps use different controls, but it seems likely the flow sensor has stuck/failed or the electronic control has failed.

mw1
Labourer
Labourer

Pump Problem

by mw1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:00 am

Thanks for that, the pump is a Grundfos Niagra STC 1.5C. Have looked at the instalation and op instruction manual but that doesnt indicate where this flow sensor is, can it be easily fixed or would it be better replacing the pump

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:01 pm

I am not familiar with that make of shower pump, but the flow sensor can usually be identified by being a small block screwed to the impeller unit and linked by a thin wire to the main control unit on top of the pump.

The pump will have a single sensor or one on each impeller housing.

Some sensors are solid state and can be removed without draining. They are not serviceable so cannot be repaired.

Older types are mechanical and use magnetism to sense a steel ball moving with the flow of water. This ball can stick so in theory repairs can be made.

kennith
Labourer
Labourer

by kennith » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi,
When I turn on any faucet in the house, there is a banging and sputtering...then water comes out (brown). When I flush the toilets, the water is brown there too. What should I do? Is there a problem with my plumbing system/pipes?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:46 pm