Pushfit or capillary fittings ?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Pushfit or capillary fittings ?

by htg engineer » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:35 pm

I hear more and more people using pushfit fittings on copper pipe and push fit fittings and plastic pipe,

are there any tradesmen out there using this ?

Is it any good ?

reliable ?

I don't use them because I'm a time served plumber/gas fitter, anyone can cut and push pipe together, but bending a soldering is a proper plumbers job, does anyone agree ? or do I need to move with the times ?

Also has anyone used Tracpipe for gas installations ?

Htg Engineer

AndyB
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndyB » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:55 pm

I know of many using plastic but personally I don't like it myself.It seems to be used for speed not looks.The fittings are bulky and expensive,you've got to force the pipe into a bend,the pipe doesn't stay straight and every job I've seen half the fittings are under stress.Also Rats love the stuff! As Peter kay says though-ITS THE FUTURE.Might have to learn to like it as customers seem to want quick and rough jobs not proper jobs.

Have seen Tracpipe at trade shows.My concern is the fittings used on it.On copper you can go from 28mm to 22mm,branch off in 15mm all using soldered joints.This can all be hidden away under floors,behind cupboards etc.I think Tracpipe uses a compression type fitting(against regs to be hidden away)so will always need to be on the surface.To me would look unsightly if meter was at one end of house and boiler etc at other.

Please correct me if anything you don't agree with or I've got wrong

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:15 pm

I'd imagine tracpipe would be ideal and very quick to install if it was one continuous length from meter to boiler, under the floor.

As you say would - it be no good if there had to be joints or branches taken from this.

Do you think plastic pipe and pushfit fittings are taking away jobs and also the need of having qualified plumbers ? as alot of people that wouldn't attempt plumbing before probably will now, obviously gas work should never be attempted by DIYers.

AndyB
Tradesman
Tradesman

by AndyB » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:27 pm

I've seen many a job done in plastic(some by qualified plumbers) and boy 'what a mess it looks'.I do think its all down to speed and ease

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:36 pm