putting plaster between joists to stop noise
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
coleby
Apprentice
Apprentice

putting plaster between joists to stop noise

by coleby » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:47 pm

I want to stop noise from the flat below and am thinking of putting a layer of plaster between the joists of the floor.

Does anybody done this before to good effeect ? I mean will a layer of plaster stop noise coming up from below ??

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:46 am

coleby,
a layer of plaster will have little effect, Plaster was devised as a material that was good to decorate on to, not a soundproof system. The make up of the wall and what goes in to stud work resolves that, of course plasterboarding will help but that should have been done from downstairs flat, ie double boarding ceiling helps sound proofing and protects against spread of fire. If you are lifting floorboards the best advise would install a good soundproofing insulator like kingspan and before you put flooring down ie carpet/laminate again put a soundproof membrane down. Ask at a carpet or flooring outlet for what they would consider best.
Sorry can't be more help, I understand your frustrations.
Regards
KB

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:13 am

plaster a floor???!!??

i plastered many a floor when i was learning the trade as most of it ended up there by accident!

plaster is the most unsuitable product for using on a floor, it's not designed for it and its sound insulating properties are negligible anyway. there are materials designed for what you want to achieve and they are widely available. kbrownie has already covered that i think.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:40 am